Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Oh no - An "Index" causing a problem (???)

I have been working on this project on Crowd Sourcing and ran across some conflicting information. I thought I would share how I was able to resolve the problem.

I followed two Shaky Leaf hints from Ancestry.com. One was to the Index on Ancestry.com to the Find-A-Grave website. The other was from Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947 also from a hint from Ancestry. Both hints were from within FTM2014. Oh great, two off-site hints for Indexes. I have been told many times not to use indexes. Well, that is true, but I record them as Citations in my file, That does NOT mean I would write a proof statement based on those indexes. I like to keep some bread crumbs that lead me to some additional information.

So, I had one of the indexes and found the 2nd one.

Hunt Cemetery, Crooked Creek, Jasper, Illinois, USA (the top entry) and
Hunt Cemetery, Rose Hill, Jasper, Illinois, USA (the 3rd entry)



I created a ToDo / Task to resolve this problem.

Looking at the Citations, I found the Crooked Creek entry in the Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947 and the Ross Hill on Find-A-Grave.

The Find-A-Grave page didn't have any address, so I could not do much in Google Maps for that. So I turned to the Places Workspace, and brought up the Person View there for the person.


Not even close. Now what?

Looking a little closer, Bing Maps (used within FTM2014), picked up Crooked Creek and didn't pay attention to the County Name I was providing (Jasper) and took me directly to that upper arrow, near the lake.

Looking at the Ariel View didn't help either because it's farm land. My guy as a farmer and were many of his family.

Remember INDEXES. Lets look at the real item.

Here is the Index from Ancestry.com (1)



It's my guy AND it have the Family History Library Film Number: (I picked up his mother's surname from that index. Didn't have that before)

From within FTM2014, I went to Family Search.org because that Illinois source was a film at Family Search. (Hope there is an image)

This is all within FTM2014, Websearch Workspace, but I have added Family Search as one of my Favorite search spaces.

I do this, so that I can see my data in the lower Left, and the record in the upper right. Same Information. So the Index was right, but NO Images. So, I can't actually see the document. I could order it, or see if a local Family History Center has that film, OR I could look for another solution. (2)


A little closer look:


What about the Find-A-Grave (3) record that I found earlier, before I knew I had a conflict?

The images aren't as important as the fact there there IS an image of the headstone. Is that the answer to this conflict? After all, it's written "in stone". Unfortunately, I have seen too many stones with bad information, but there is still something not right.


Still have Rose Hill and Crooked Creek. Same Cemetery Name. The Find-A-Grave website, Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org weren't helping. Looking closer at Find-A-Grave starting at the county level, I found TWO cemeteries.

Hunt Cemetery
Rose Hill
Jasper County
Illinois
USA
8 654
Hunt-Cummins Cemetery
See: Hunt Cemetery

Rose Hill
Jasper County
Illinois

Actually, only one, but two names.

So far, everything up to now was within the Web Search Workspace. It's a powerful place to research from, but ......

Doing a Google search is how I found out about what the Bing Map had done, putting me in the wrong place, and I wasn't finding the cemetery, for sure, in the search results. UNTIL I found this website:


The above was down to Jasper County, and I went to Page 2, for the "H" for Hunt Cemetery.

Something was 'amiss' with this cemetery name, once I figured out the mapping problem..

Scrolling down this Genealogy Trails website I found the answer.


Not only that, but I had been looking earlier in the day for Boss Chapman. From with FTM2014, is some of the names I have and there is Boss Chapman. Right place and dates, so at this point right families. (will get back to that later).


Scrolling down further I found my person.


If you were to compare the two lists, you will see a number of the same people. The other people on this website are probably not entered into my database, because I am trying to stay with Direct Lines. The names I saw were from Census Records.

Bottom line here. It's the SAME Cemetery, with at least three names. I was able to re-create these steps because I HAD cited my "index" sources. The answer wasn't in the index, but I was able to resolve the conflicting information because I did.


(1) "Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947", Ancestry.com (www.ancestry.com), FHL File NUmber: 1819835; accessed 17 Nov 2013. Record for Willis Collins.

(2) "Illinois Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N3PP-8VH : accessed 20 Nov 2013), Willis Collins, 17 Jul 1939..

(3) Ernie Chapman, "Find-A-Grave", database, Find-A-Grave (www.findagrave.com) Willis Collins (1858 - 1939) - Find A Grave Memorial# 36242319; 17 Nov 2013.
_______________________________________________________________
Copyright © 2013 by H R Worthington

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post your comments here

Print Friendly