Tuesday, October 9, 2012

FTM2012 - Places hint

While cleaning up my place names, to get them into the new hierarchical format, I was having screen issues. Moving from place to place, the screen would jump all around before I could get to where I wanted to go.

As it turns out, I was trying to get around too quickly. What I discovered is that IF I select the 'next' place first, then expand that location, for example, the screen worked quickly and smoothly.

For example: I want to look at my locations in California. In the past, I would just scroll down to USA and immediately click on the Right Pointing arrow to the left of USA. BUT if I first Select (hi-light) USA, THEN click on the Arrow, it works smoothly.


 I had not been selecting USA first.

After clicking on the Arrow, to expand California, again, it works much smoother.



I am showing that arrow above. Selecting California, then the arrow works.

Lesson Learned: Select First, then expand.

_______________________________________________________________

Copyright © 2012 by H R Worthington

8 comments:

  1. That's contrary to the behavior of most programs. Sounds to me like something that needs to be tweaked in a future update.

    (Unusual behavior aside, I'm opposed to any "feature" that requires slowing down the process. Using the mouse is too slow in the first place, compared to typing, although sometimes it's necessary.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave,

      I appreciate your comments.

      I agree with you about the behavior. Which is why I posted this blog entry. The "behavior" of other programs is what I had been using, but didn't like the results.

      Since I changed to this approach, I have not had any issues.

      These steps, in fact for me, have gotten the process back to where it should be, and had been in the base.

      Oh, I have also provided feedback from the Help menu in FTM2012.

      Russ

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I saw another one sort of like that.
    If I click on an unresolved place, and then go to resolve it so that it fits into the hierarchical format, it will move the cursor to the resolved item in the hierarchical tree. If I then use the vertical scroll bar to go back up and find the next item to resolve, it seems to get lost in trying to map every item in the list.

    So, I've learned to immediately click on any location, and then the vertical scrollbar works quickly and smoothly so that I can go find the next item to resolve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erick,

      Thank you for posting your observations.

      Good luck,

      Russ

      Delete
  3. On a slightly different note, how do you deal with street addresses? I like to show the street as well as the town and it seems incompatible with the hierarchical structure. That requirement also causes issues with easily identifying who lived in the same town but I work around that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris,

      I posted an article on Historical Place names. It works exactly the same.

      http://ftmuser.blogspot.com/2012/09/ftm2012-704-place-name-hierarchies_23.html

      I should post on the Address issue as well.

      Thank you,

      Russ

      Delete
    2. Thanks Russ - that makes things a lot clearer.

      Chris

      Delete
    3. Chris,

      You are welcome. I'll post an Address example later today.

      Works like a champ.

      Good luck,

      Russ

      Delete

Please post your comments here

Print Friendly